The Franciscan Friars, Third Order Regular, originated from one of three orders founded by Saint Francis of Assisi. It was officially recognized by Papal Decree in 1447.
In 1846, the Bishop of Pittsburgh invited Franciscan Brothers from Ireland to teach in the diocese. By 1908, this Community had grown to become the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in Loretto, Pennsylvania.
More than 100 years since, our Community of Loretto has contributed greatly to the work of the Church.
We Friars serve as high school and college educators, parish and campus ministers, hospital chaplains, and foreign missionaries. We are promoters of Church renewal and advocates of social justice.
To all we serve, we commit ourselves to bring the grace and peace of God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.